Project #3 Lesson Plan
Lesson for Third Grade Recorder Ensemble
Students will know and identify the lines and space of the treble staff.
To improve their sight-read ability in order to play the recorder better.
- Music Lab Computers, printer, paper, pencils.
- Music Ace I: Lesson 7/Part 4 - identify both space and lines notes.
- Work Sheet - Words Games #1, fill-in notes and letter to make words.
- Word Puzzle: Write a note puzzle on big manuscript paper: BAD EGG CAKE. Write all letters except the note names.
with staff notation letters blank.
4. ANTICIPATORY SET:
Ask students to fill in the missing note names and solve the word puzzle.
a) Review prior knowledge : ask students to answer the following questions:
- Letter names of the musical alphabet
- Number of lines, and number of spaces.
- Lines names and the slogan (Every Good Bird Does Fly).
- Space names and the word F A C E.
- Letter names of the left and right hand recorder positions.
b) Discuss Objective:
- Tell students that they will be identifying the letter names of the staff.
- What do you think the purpose of this lesson is?
- How can this lesson help them play the recorder better?
c) Music Ace #I
Instruct students to login and select the Music Ace I.
- Go to Music Lesson #7/Part 4.
- Complete the lesson at their own pace, and raise their hand when they
are done so that I may check their work.
d) Work Sheet - Word Game #1
- Have students who finish early start their worksheet - Word Game #1.
- When all students have finished the Word Game, have them compare their
answers with their neighborsı answers, and make any corrections.
6. CHECK FOR STUDENT UNDERSTANDING:
- Circle around room, and check for comprehension and to provide feedback.
- Assign grades on the completed worksheets.
- Have students give answers from the worksheet.
- Ask students to tell what they know about the staff.
- Have students put their worksheets in their portfolios.
- Give positive feedback to all.
The next lesson is on knowing and identifying ledger lines just above and below the staff, Middle C and A.