Project #4 Junior High Lesson Plan
Lesson for Sixth Grade Keyboard Class
Students will review and identify the line and space names of the Grand Staff.
To improve their sight-reading ability to play the keyboard better.
- Computer laboratory.
- Music Ace II: Unit #3 - Note Names/Lesson #4 - Review line and space names
of the grand staff.
- Work Sheet copies - Words Games #4, fill-in note letter names to make words.
- Word Puzzle: Write a grand staff note puzzle on big manuscript paper chart: for
example - EAGLE BADGE. Leave note letter names blank.
4. ANTICIPATORY SET:
Ask students to fill in the missing note names and solve the word puzzle.
a) Review prior knowledge: ask students to name the following:
- Treble line names, and slogan (Every Good Bird Does Fly).
- Treble space names, and the space word F A C E.
- Base line names, and slogan (Great Big Dogs Fight Animals).
- Base space names, and slogan (All Cows Eat Grass).
- and, describe where Middle C is located on the grand staff?
b) Discuss Objective:
- Tell students they will review and identify the letter names of the
- Ask: What do you think is the purpose of this lesson?
- Ask: Why should we know how to sight-read?
- How can good sight-reading improve your keyboard performance?
c) Music Ace #II
Instruct students to login and select Music Ace #II.
- Select Unit #3/Lesson #4.
- Complete the lesson at their own pace, and raise their hand when they
are done so that I may check their work.
d) Work Sheet - Word Game #4
- Have students who finish early start their worksheet - Word Game #4.
- When all students have finished the Word Game, have them compare their
answers with their partner and make any corrections.
6. CHECK FOR STUDENT UNDERSTANDING:
- Circle around the room, and check for comprehension and provide feedback.
- Assign grades on the completed worksheets.
- Have students give their answers from the worksheets.
- Ask students why do they need to practice sight-reading the grand staff?
- Ask students to describe other ways they can improve their sight-reading.
- Have students put their worksheets in their portfolios.
- Give positive feedback to all students.
The next lesson is on reviewing and identifying one ledger lines above and below the grand staff.