Elementary Lesson Plan: Grade 3 - 5
▪ Identify the various instruments by name.
▪ Categorize each instrument as belonging to four categories: strings, woodwinds, bass, and percussion.
▪ Recognize the different sounds each instrument can produce.
▪ List the similarities and differences of instruments found in the elementary band or orchestra.
Students learn about various musical instruments and the role of each instrument in the orchestra.
Computer with Internet access, projector, musical instruments, CDs, arts supplies
▪ Symphony music playing (CD) as students enter the classroom.
▪ While listening to the music, have student draw/write on a sheet of paper all different types of instrument they can think of.
▪ Ask the students to pick out a couple of instruments and ask specific features.
▪ Go to www.nyphilkids.org /instrument storage room and discover the name of each instrument and four categories.
▪ Go to www.library.thinkquest.org /Energy in the air/listen to the sound orchestra and listen to the different sounds of the instruments.
CHECK FOR STUDENT UNDERSTANDING:
▪ Ask students what instruments they like and why they chose it -- what they can tell about the instruments such as features, sounds, etc. Teacher uses ìMicrosoft Musical Instrumentî (software) and follows the studentís description of the instrument.
▪ Play CD (concerto, chamber music, etc) and ask students what type of instrument they can hear ñ let them show that instrument using either website we have used in class.
Show PowerPoint slides with music playing each instrument by musicians. Students pretend playing the music together.
▪ The next lesson will learn about the orchestra: the layout of the modern orchestra and the importance of each instrument to create different music in the orchestra. Go to www.library.thinkquest.org / the symphony an interactive guide orchestra/ instrument of the orchestra.
▪ Bring instrument(s) to the next class and demonstrate for students or ask students if anyone can play any of the instruments for their classmates.