Objective: To learn about the classic orchestra instruments. Student would be able to name the main string/woodwind/brass/percussion instruments in the Orchestra setting at end of the lesson.
Purpose: To expand knowledge of the Classical Orchestra setting
and chalk – I am a fan of old-fashioned blackboard and chalk.
Needed: My PowerPoint slides that I have made for Project 2
A projector, a projector screen – For viewing my PowerPoint slides
Microsoft Musical Instruments software – This software will give students great opportunity to compare/contrast different instruments, and their sounds.
Speakers – For listening different sound of instruments of their choices
Anticipatory By playing the classical orchestra music recording I would ask students to
Set: name as many instruments as they can that they hear from the recording.
Procedure: After listening to the recording,
1. I will list all the instrument names that came up from the students on the blackboard.
2. I will put instrument names by section. (String Section, Woodwind Section, Brass section, and Percussion Section)
3. I will add instruments names on the list (that the student have not mentioned) to complete the list.
4. First, we would look at the String Section first. We would talk about the differences between Violin, Viola, Cello and Bass
5. By using Microsoft Musical Instruments Software, the students would be able to learn the size difference, and sound difference of the different string instruments.
6. Second, we would move on to talk about Woodwind Section
7. By using Microsoft Musical Instruments Software, the students would be able to learn the size difference, and sound difference of the different woodwind instruments.
8. Third, we would discuss about Brass section
9. By using Microsoft Musical Instruments Software, the students would be able to learn the size difference, and sound difference of the different brass instruments.
10. Last but not list, we would talk about Percussion Section.
11. By using Microsoft Musical Instruments Software, the students would be able to learn the size difference, and sound difference of the different percussion instruments.
12. Question and Answer Session: I would take questions or comments.
13. Game: I would assign each student with one instrument. When the whistle blows, everyone must stand in order of classical orchestra form.
Check for With recording tape, I would play different sections of the orchestra.
Student (for example: string, woodwind, brass, and percussion section)
Understanding: Students then would identify different parts of orchestra therefore understand how classic orchestra is formed.
Closure: During the semester a student must attend one orchestra concert and hand in the concert report. This will help students to get more familiar with orchestral music.
Extensions: There are many other orchestras: String Orchestra, Chamber Orchestra, Pop Orchestra, Jazz Orchestra, and etc. Students would be able to identify classic orchestra from all the other types of orchestra.